Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Family

So I Just got back "home" after a week long foray into the inner sanctum of familial relations. My parents renewed their vows after 25 years of (more or less) happy marriage, four kids, a host of semi-adopted auxiliaries and half a lifetime of dealing with large groups of Type A personalities. After having the privilege of participating in the ceremony (by far the worst "singing" I've done in recent and not so recent memory) I realize that I'm in no hurry to venture down that road.

Don't get me wrong. I love family. I love seeing the look of true pleasure in their eyes when they behold the reassuring sight of a lasting union between two individuals in whom they see a wellspring of promise and possibility. I love the almost palpable bond that connects even the most estranged members of the convivial collective. I love feeling a sense of safety amidst a world of danger and chaos. Still, too much of any good thing counteracts that thing's goodness, and--true to form--, the family that I hold so dearly is also the family that-- given the proper amount of time--drives me up a wall-- and/or out a door.

All in all, the week was enjoyable. I had the opportunity to see folk I hadn't in a very long time, and also got to hang out with friends whom I'd been sorely missing for what seemed to be even longer. It was a week I didn't know I needed. Here's to the times when surprises are doubly unexpected and, equally, enjoyed.

3 comments:

Drea said...

I missed you too. And i forgot how much i liked your family. Sorry for the damper post on the whole affair, I really did enjoy the ceremony. And to be fair, it wasn't the worst singing you did a rendition of Ave Maria that was much worse. :) All in all it made me realize that it was a much needed sight, the ceremony and it helped me place a lot of pent up frustration and recognize why I know my career itself will not be enough, and I also know I'm willing to wait for it to happen. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Anonymous said...

Hi Clayton
This is so beautiful to see two people with real love for one another. I have spent my whole life doubting that this is real or possible.

It is so rare to see true love survive between two people. After all the hoopla of bouncing emotions dies most people tuck tail and run. I have seen so much bloodshed in relational bliss that i stopped that i stopped believing in it all together.

You are blessed to have parents like this.

Love to you Clayton

Anonymous said...

I don't know your parents well, but I do know that raising four children while maintaining a marriage is no simple task. I find it incredibly encouraging that your parents have been able to overcome challenges while maintaining their commitment to each other. If more people in this world understood that love is not just a word to express strong emotions, but a gift that needs to be nurtured by those who share it I believe more relationships would last. I'm so happy to hear that you had a good time! Peace...