Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Random Confessional...

So, my friend Nate tagged me a little more than a month ago with a meme for which I'm supposed to divulge six widely unknown things about myself. Since I operate with a "better late than never" mentality (most of the time) I figured I'd give it a shot. Oh boy...

1. I'm deathly afraid of the dark. When I was little, I used to sleep with a plastic mini coat rack (the one that hangs on the back of a door or on a wall) in my hand to beat any ghost/person/unknown entity that might sneak up on me while I lay alone. To this day, I sleep with the TV on to simulate another person's presence in the room. Now I even go as far as to play downloaded movies and episodes of TV shows on my computer monitor when no TV is present. My sisters think it’s funny; I think it's debilitating.

2. Though most people never notice, I don't wear shorts in public. I developed a bad case of eczema right around the time I started going through puberty. At such a vulnerable time in my (mental) development, I was ashamed of any irregularities. The eczema got better, but my self-perception did not. Thus, my legs are made to suffer for my insecurity. (Sorry legs. I really do love you. I promise.)

3. I have full-blown conversations with other people both audibly and internally when those people aren't around. I say what I think they might say and react accordingly, often with added intonation and appropriate emotion. It's something I do to make up for the fact that I can't seem to grasp even the most rudimentary fundaments of social interaction. This is why I write better than I speak and why I plan to be a recluse for the remainder of my life... a plan that academia seems to view as ideal...here's to a successful future...

4. As my best friend Andrea admitted, I'm a pack rat. I can't bear to part with things even when I know that I have no use for them. I kept homework sheets from the first grade in my closet until my parents moved from the house in Philly. They threw them out, and I cringed from 100+ miles away. This fact becomes more interesting when one considers that I also have a mild case of OCD. Talk about being one's own worst enemy.

5. When I was little, I could not stand loud noises. They bothered me to the point where I would drop everything I was doing (or holding, apparently) and cover my ears. A couple days ago, my Godmother was telling my brother about how everyone knew not to give me any glass bottles or fragile things to hold when walking with me through the streets (I grew up in Philly). To this day, my eyes still twitch when fire trucks or motor cycles go by.

6. I sometimes buy books with no intentions to read them. I like how they smell and feel and would be perfectly content with having a library full of ones that I have never read. Just the idea of having a study with walls resplendently bedecked with bookshelves that are packed with books is almost exciting enough to be the sole reason for my desire to succeed. I love to read. Don't get me wrong. I just love the physical aspect of books a little more.

Alright then, that's it. I lay bare before you and hope the sight is an altogether endurable one.

9 comments:

christianne said...

it absolutely is! (an altogether endurable sight, that is.) i loved learning these things about you . . . though you're right . . . it did read rather like a confessional! :)

i totally jump at loud noises, too. but mine takes the form, rather, of saying "ouch!" instinctively, as if the banging of the door or the drop of something onto the table or counter actually hurt the door, table, or counter when, in fact, it hurt nobody, not even myself.

and i, too, am loathe to wear shorts in public. i could have said i never do, except just last month i bought my first pair of shorts in, like, ever and have been wearing them every once in a while around town, like running to get the mail or pick up lunch. but yeah, i'm self-conscious of my legs, too.

that's sweet, too, about the conversations you have out loud and in your mind with people in your life. makes me laugh. i like it. :)

Clay said...

It's good to know that I have some support in my quirks. You say "ouch" at loud noises too? I can definitely relate to that. I'm working on the shorts thing. I can muster up enough courage to wear them on the beach, so I'm thinking that there's hope for me and my (mostly) hidden appendages yet. Thank's for making me feel not so alone :)

Drea said...

A library of unread books makes me cringe! See I feel like I have to read them, or at least feel like I intend to read them. Although I know what you mean, I surely had two bookshelves of books in my dorm room. And you know Christianne... i say ouch a lot, not at loud sounds just sort of in empty space. It confuses people who I don't happen to be around often , they think they've done something to injure me like step on a toe or something.

Clay said...

It's all good. You can come take some of the books off the self and read them, if you like. Sharing is caring :) And Christianne, as a witness to the "ouch" tick that Andrea has, I can tell you that it's quite hilarious.

Nathan said...

I guess we're all weird together. I say ouch when I drop things, bump things that don't actually hurt, hit bumps in the road while driving, and even hear loud noises. I'm sure there is some deep neurological reason for all of this.

Clayton, I knew some of these, but you filled in some detail. I'm with Andrea: I have to at least think I will read the books one day. But I do love their smell and just their physical presence as well.

I've been away from blogging for a while (sorry everyone). I just haven't felt up to it. I miss everyone though (if that counts for anything).

Clayton, I'm glad that the better-late-than-never mentality finally arrived at late. :) I look forward to more posts. (And some phone calls from some of you guys wouldn't hurt either . . . hint).

Anonymous said...

Ok, so that was quite possibly the cutest thing I have ever read. I must admit, I also have full conversations with other people that aren't there...though I don't go as far as to say fill in what the other person would say. I like to assume that my intellect, quirk, and quick wit always leave them so speechless and in awe of what I have just said that they never have a response. Hmm...I just learned a bit about myself. I'm so proud.

I used to hate the dark, too...but even more than that, I hated the stinging feeling that was left on my face, arm, back, or butt after my parents beat me again for leaving the tv/light on ....again lol.

Here's a confession for you...I have a serious issue with keeping friends. I bring them close enough to me when it's beneficial to do so, but once that time is up, I generally cut them off with a chainsaw and feel quite content with never seeing them again. And if I do see them again, if I feel the urge, I often go out of my way to ignore them because I don't want to talk. Man...I sound really horrible....but somehow, I can't stop my hysterical laughter. I still get points for honesty though, right?

Clay said...

It just so happens to be your lucky day, as you get points for both honesty and perfectly articulating a problem I too share. It's something that I've been actively working on as of late. It takes a great deal of fighting, but I'm starting to see the benefits...

Anonymous said...

stop planning on being a recluse...be open to the idea of love!

TexasChemist said...

Wow, after reading this I felt as if I had written it.

So much to discuss ... can't possibly begin to start :)