Saturday, February 10, 2007

It Hurts Like Hell....

I'm sitting here thinking over the last few years astonished at how far I've come and how much I've grown. How I've exited my box of darkened solitude into the marvelous light of social interaction and deep rooted friendship. I've experienced things that I never would have if I were not indeed goaded into exiting those familiar confines and stepping out into "the world". For that, I am immensely grateful. I would not be as open to and cognizant of my surroundings as I am today if not for this. That said, I think it's time that I try to fix something that, in hasty extrication from my box of comfort, was left unattended to.

...... **** .....

After much deliberation over the constant messages my parents have instilled in my head over the years and the comments, occurrences, and eventually painful experiences that I have lived through, I've come to realized that I am a living breathing manifestation of what happens when idealism and realism collide.

I give to the point that it hurts. Unsatisfied until every one is happy, I take from myself until I am left in tears at the foot of the stairs, bed, or person who feels that I have not given enough, tears that will never cease to fall because the giving that they require only ends when they no longer take. They want, attention, consent, comfort, love,
and give complaints, frustration, indifference, and anger when these things are not supplied in the ways that they desire. Used as ammunition in arguments and as threats overhead, their giving is something that, though genuine (and sometimes often), can quickly turn into the very thing that takes the most.

...... **** .....

I was talking to a friend yesterday and was asked, (in apparent frustration) why I don't own up to my mistakes. I didn't say anything then because I couldn't form an intellectually coherent response. But if posed the question again, I would answer: I can't own up to my own mistakes until I learn to stop owning up to everyone else's. It amazes me how people scold you for behaving in ways that they through their actions make it perfectly clear they don't mind you acting in. It amazes me how they can't see the blaring inconsistencies in what they request. How can person A on one hand reprimand person B for being giving to a fault, and on the other complain that person B doesn't give enough? Therein lies the crux of the problem.

People want an idealistic world when they are (with active contentment) living in reality. They say that one should give and proceed to take from those who heed that advice. They maintain that one should not allow themselves to be taken advantage of and proceed to do just that to those who expend themselves in pleasing others. They ask for a messiah and crucify him for doing and being exactly what/who they desire.

All this to say, I'm tired of being the (even unintentional) scapegoat, and sick of being injured from following advise from the same sword that eventually cuts me for heeding its suggestions, because, as Aretha sang, it hurts like hell. I'll never cease to give, because I can't do otherwise ( despite multiple attempts on my behalf). I'll just make a concerted effort to leave some of me left when I'm done. Despite (and partially because of) what it means for/to others.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clay,

I am glad to see you not only realize this problem, but actually verbalize it – even if only in written form. I can attest to the fact that you are extraordinarily giving by nature. I can also amen the notion that those who criticize you are themselves slow or even absent in admitting their own faults. Rather than truly examine themselves and admit that their behavior -- however consistent and expected of them -- is disrespectful, selfish and rude, they simply deflect it under the banner of “that’s just me; it’s not right; but at least I can admit it.” But they forget: admission of guilt is not the same as absolution of guilt. So they arrogantly continue in their selfish double standard, unfettered by even a shred of “otherly-consideration.” They are oblivious to the “other” because they can’t see past their own selfish means and ends, which of course they defend with coolly-constructed arguments and an endless array of other pass-the-buck tactics. In the end, the only things they notice about the “other” are the deficiencies that so vividly color their own lives – deficiencies they will incessantly point out in order to refrain from dealing with the pink elephant tucked away in the shallow room of their own mind and behavior.

It is sad to see people invest just enough in you to selfishly buy their way into your heart and good graces only to drain you dry and take with them more than you could afford to give them. It seems well with them though, because the dividend appears to be more than their selfish investment. After all, they got all of you by simply investing some of themselves. In truth, this insidious investing only appears to reap benefits. After it runs its course, the collective lives of all those it has preyed upon demand retribution, retribution that is utterly ruinous and bankrupting because its investor never really had anything of real value, save the distant memories of the “others” it so vociferously victimized.

Finally, I find it interesting that you posted your revelation the day after Christmas, a holiday that is supposed to celebrate giving. I’ve got to wonder, did it somehow prompt your writing?

-- Nathan

Anonymous said...

Whussup Homey! I can honestly say I havnt't seen that side of you. You are one of the most humble guys i know. I often hear people who are in their middle age(40 plus) say that one of the biggest things they've learned in life is to stop caring about what people think. I say to you today that while you are on the brink of turning 21. Let today be the day you liberate your self from the opinions of others.I realize what i'm sharing with you may not be profound in nature, maybie not even life changing but i promise you it will add to you more days of joy than sorrow. As your friend and brother if i could give you one honest bit of advice it would be to nurture, and cherish the relationships you do have with the people who have stuck by you. the vicissitudes of life have a way of showing you who your real friends are.
-Bmore-

Anonymous said...

WOW! I first read your blog last week and I am even more encouraged to write my own blog. You CLEARY communicate your thoughts and it actually allows me to connect with you (at the very least I feel connected, lol). I agree and sympathize with this post and your friend Nathan, as always, has managed to say the right things (so, I am not going to repeat).

Thanks again for your posts, though they may be very old, I enjoy them and appreciate you VERY much for sharing.