Tuesday, December 18, 2007

On a wing and a prayer...

So, I just sent off my last application to grad school, and I'm completely terrified at the idea of possible failure. I guess I've always taken for granted the reassurance provided by an underlying faith in my abilities. I was calm because I didn't see failure as an actual possibility. But now, I'm on the wrong side of mediocrity, and I can't figure out how to cope with the fact that I'm just like everyone else.

PhD programs are no joke. That's a given. Still, I'm wondering whether I've started bugging out unnecessarily. I've always made things out to be harder than what they actually are. It's been my way of achieving what I have over the years. I get myself worked up over the (internally fictitious) prospect of failure and then over-perform. I know afterward that the idea of failure was never real; it was something that I fabricated in order to push myself over the edge of complacency and into the waters of productivity. Now though, I'm in those waters and am, for the first time, floundering.

I've always been a good swimmer. Backstrokes, breaststrokes, doggy paddles and treading were always easy for me, and I dominated the kid and teen swim with natural alacrity. I didn't need any flotation aids and could survive in the deep end, but it’s adult swim now, and the facility that separated me from my previous company is shared by all. Many have practiced their swimming technique so much that I seem to be the opposite of what I once was. I'm nowhere near as comfortable on the deep end as they are, and I've begun to realize my relative limits.

I'm applying to 11 schools with 11 different pools of applicants and I'm worried. The pools there are all adult swims, requiring everything I have and some things that I've yet to develop. No more swimming circles around other kids in the pool, no more treading lazily in the middle, and no more doing elementary tricks. Everyone else will have passed this stage and already developed unique techniques.

I wish so much sometimes that I'd used the time I had to hone my craft instead of remaining complacent in my abilities. Now I have to hope and pray that I, by some grace of God, am accepted into the fold, that I'm skilled enough for the adult world, that I perform well enough in the deep end to warrant inclusion into the "big boy" crowd. Oh God. I long for the days when I was confident. I wish for some sense of security. There are approximately 3 months until I know for sure if I'm good enough. I'm anxious and deathly afraid.

I applied to eleven schools and I don't feel especially confident about any one of them....Failure scares the crap out of me, but mediocrity enrages me, especially when its my own...

13 comments:

Nathan said...

Clayton,

Growing up, I always seemed to excel at every sport I tried – except swimming. So I’m not sure that I will be much consolation in that regard. I never really knew what my problem was, although I suspect it has something to do with bone density (the bodyfat-level excuse has proportionately diminished with both my age and well, my proportions).

One thing I do know, however, is that success isn’t about anxiously observing the other swimmers’ apparently well-honed techniques and internalizing some sense of inadequacy. Success is about staying in the water. That’s it. If you stay in long enough, you will eventually emerge skilled and successful, albeit with a few wrinkles (kind of like staying in the bathtub too long). Remember, failure isn’t the worst thing in the world, quitting is. So stay in the water.

There is an old gospel song that says, “The race isn’t given to the swift, neither is it given to the strong; you’ve got to hold out, and endure till the end.” I’ve got the feeling that swimming is much the same way. The writer of that song arrived at that conclusion (I think) by combining a few passages (at which I will now guess): “Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to those with knowledge, but time and chance happen to them all. Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, but the one who endures to the end will be saved” (Ecc 9:11; Heb 12:1; Matt 24:13). Granted, it’s exegetical quilting, but I think it’s got some merit. Life is unpredictable, but if you stay in it long enough, salvation will come.

Now about that sisyphusian life thing . . . the problem isn’t the rock; it’s that blasted slope. I always hated geometry. But it’s comforting to know that I’ve got a friend on the way up – especially when I know it’s one that doesn’t have a problem with meeting me at the bottom, over and over again. Thanks.

Nathan said...

Hey, I wanted to leave you Tammy's blogsite address: http://www.tpoetspen.blogspot.com/

Nathan said...

It's a good thing I already know what you look like, because that picture is so distant it made me think I need to go get my eyes examined. But I like it; you look fun-loving and carefree -- things we both know you're not. I'm kidding.

How bout you answer your phone sometime, just to break up the monotony? I've read a change of pace can be good for you. Talk to you soon.

christianne said...

Hi, Clay -- I'm a new visitor from Nathan's blog. Just reading your intro paragraph at the top of your sidebar and your profile description had me grinning from ear to ear, a mile wide, thinking, "I'm so gonna like this guy." I love the way you describe yourself and your family in those two places. Love it, love it, love it!

I just barely skimmed my eyes over this post about grad school -- I''m going to come back and read your posts more in-depth in a little bit -- but I want to say, first of all, CONGRATULATIONS! on finishing those apps. I know what a bear they can be, from personal experience, and mine were only MA programs (so far). I can't imagine those PhD ones.

The second thing I want to say is, what's your field? Just from skimming so quickly, I wasn't able to grab what you study. I hope you're a writer someday. I can already tell that you should be. :)

By the way, I don't belive in telling people what they should do. So please take that in stride and for what it is: silly joshing of a brother in Christ.

And finally, I have to say that Nathan's comments here cuh-racked me UP! You guys must have a hilarious time being brothers.

terri said...

stumbled over from nate's blog. he's pretty smart. you should listen to him about the swimming and comparing yourself to others and all that.

nice to meet you clay...

kirsten said...

Hi Clay,

Another visitor here from Nate's blog. :o) He's sending a lot of us your way! Both of you are amazing writers: descriptive and an amazing ability to employ metaphor to make your point. Your swimming analogy illustrated your thoughts so well!

I love what Nate said about you only really fail if you get out of the water. And from someone who sets high excpectations for yourself, I completely understand the anxiety and fear of failure, not wanting to be mediocre, etc. It's SO easy for others to say that you'll succeed or do well when the pressure lies solely with you to meet that expectation.

So yeah. Basically what Nathan said: stay in the pool. If you're half as intelligent as you sound, I can't imagine being that you'd be denied the opportunity you're seeking. And even if it's not what you think, it might not be failing at all. It may be an opportunity to realign & shift your definition of what success means.

I hope this doesn't sound like unsolicited advice; not my intent at all! I don't know you, but seriously. Just from the small slice of what I can see here, I think you're going to kick some butt. :o)

Blessings to you!

Listen. Learn. said...

hola. i always love reading your blogs because somehow you capture my feelings in the perfect words. failure. ahhhhhhh! scary, scary, scary! quarter-life crisis. ahhhhhhhh! scary! ok enough of the screaming. but really i know exactly how you feel 100% and just wanted to let you know that you are NOT alone. Hope that makes ya feel a bit better. And for what it's worth you are a great writer and whichever one of those schools decides not to admit you into their program they will be missing out on someone great! and also, while some of those people may outswim you, just remember that the swimming pool may no longer be your place, and God has a plan for you that regardless of what you want to do, you can't sway from. Stay blessed and keep your head above the water
~Shar

Anonymous said...

Clayton
Just wanted to say hi. Nathan wants you to chime in to our blogging. He say he needs a dude here, he feels overpowered by all the women. Nate brags on your writing so it intrigues me to hear some things from you. I do not have a computer at home so I am over at nate's on his. I will talk with you later, maybe Nate and I will decide to pop up to N.J. one day....who knows.

Anonymous said...

Hi Clayton
How special it was for me to hear the voice of your heart, beautiful. Your words connected to me. I can hear an innocence and a tenderness in the tone of your voice. Thank you for the time that possibly you sacrificed to send me that comment. Nathan often speaks of your busy schedule. I know that God has a sense of humor and some things that you said will forever remind me of that fact. You see I am a cartoon freak. Some "religious" folks would never believe what I am about to say, but there have been times in my life where I was so worn down that it was tiresome to read the Bible and God would use cartoons to speak to me so many times. You can see why I was so moved by the cartoon analogy. It is funny and touching how well God knows us. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Nathan said...

Clayton,

Your name came up in a comment left by Terri on Tammy's blog, my grandfathers aunt's husband's grandson's cousin's (twice removed) sister's son-in-law's daughter. Ok everything following the previous comma I added, but I was on a roll, so why break it?

Anyway, Terri wanted me to make mention of it. I have. You go. Read it.

Nathan said...

Clayton,

I don't know if you wanna participate in this or not, but it's kinda fun.

We are doing some blogging "memes."

You can find directions on Christianne's post here:
http://lilieshavedreams.blogspot.com/2008/02/literary-meme-or-two.html

You were one of the people I tagged.

Nathan said...

When you get a chance, could you pop in and say, "Hi" to my friend Meeka?

http://perception6.blogspot.com/

She is just starting to blog, and I want her to meet everyone.

Nathan said...

Clayton, I miss you man. Nuff said.