Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Ignorance is bliss....?

"I can't stand it when people try to get me involved in their cause. I mean what if I were trying to be politically apathetic" said a female in my English class today....

I sometimes wish that the irony of people's statements would hit them as hard and as clearly as the force with which they state them. Here was a woman sitting in a classroom of an institution that was, at one point in time, all male, across from a black male (me), conversing with others about her gripes with protesting, after explaining her plans for acquiring a PhD. in English.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I wish people would educate themselves on things outside of their own narrow-minded, personally affecting circle of understanding. How did she suppose she was allowed the opportunity to get somewhere other than the kitchen? It's a proven fact that people in power do not share it unless they have reason to. With this in mind, why in the world would a man have made room for an individual whom he saw as a "weaker (lesser) vessel" without some form of reeducation by the type of people who wanted to get others to see things from their point of view (individuals with a cause)?

Do people not see the political and social masochism in protesting....protesting? I may not like the idea of people rallying against organized religion, but I do realize that restricting their rights also restricts mine. I think that if people would step outside of the "it's them not me" mentality and see things as (at the very least) "them equals me in the long run" a great deal of ignorance would not automatically translate into widely accepted acts of cruel stupidity.

This idea applies to a plethora of other asinine acts of mass ignorance and denial that could be easily avoided with a moment’s meditation. The concept may be offensive to some (namely groups whose entire method of operation rests on seemingly unchangeable, outdated and often harmfully discriminatory rules) but I feel that peace will never come to people who maintain that the only right behavior is that which shares the same strictly upheld idiosyncrasies as their own.

I mean honestly, if individuals would only take off the lenses of their specific experiences and start judging the cultures, beliefs, and action of others based on observations that compare and not contrast their differences, I feel that a great deal more understanding and clarity would be shed on situations such as the one that happened in that classroom. The girl would come from under her politically apathetic, "if I don't see/acknowledge it, it can't hurt me blanket" and wake up and smell the, "but I was just a non-combatant/civilian riding the subway" coffee.

It's only but so long that people can ignore horrible situations that seemingly pass right over them until they are excluded from that passing over and they experience first hand what the fuss was all about. That shouldn’t be the ultimate motivator, but in this day and age...I fear that appeals to our intrinsic desire for self preservation are all we have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

profound stuff you got going here. sad to say. but in 2006 most people's primary objective is survival. "us" and "them" becomes convenient. with us being whoever is most like "me" and them those who are somehow instrinsically different and therefore lesser and wrong. its an all2gether easy trap to be held captive to. ignorance isnt bliss. ignorance isnt ignorance. thers no such thing as apathy, to be apathetic is to support the status quo. and needless to say the status quo has always been retarded in its functions and thinking. u shuda said look lady u mean to tell me that u think that nothing needs to be done. in your eyes this is perfect utopia. and if she said yeah u shuda kicked her and shin and told her its asses like her that makes progress made in such infinitesimally small proportions. only thing that ignorance and bliss share is that they come to an end in a resounding often unforgettable fashion. love the writing. i'll be back often. believe it. oh and how about you update ure xanga ther was nothing to prop lol.

Nathan said...

I try to read one of your posts after I post one of my own. You're way ahead of me, so I will have to write a lot, quickly, to try to catch up.

What attracted me to this entry was the ellipsis . . . and the notion that honest living requires knowledge and thoughtful reflection on it . . . perhaps a Selah . . . or just an ellipsis . . . Thanks for thinking and causing me to think.